Why Does My "Moisturizing" Lipstick Create Tiny Cracks On My Lips?





A few weeks ago, a friend asked me this question (why does my lipstick sink into my lip cracks?).
I asked her what lipstick she was wearing and if she had put on moisturizing balm before applying. She told me she was using CoverGirl Lipperfection, which is supposed to be moisturizing. And she had also tried the balm, but it did not work.
I love CoverGirl but had not experienced this with their lipsticks. Especially one that is meant to be moisturizing. (If you're buying matte, you know what you are in for).

So, I recently did an ingredient comparison with CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipstick and Mac Cosmetics Cremesheen lipstick. 



CoverGirl uses Paraffin, Shea Butter and Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil in their formulas. 
This made my eyebrows raise. Why use Paraffin? Paraffin is a type of wax, commonly used to wax surf boards for better grip. Or found in candle jars. This seems like the culprit to me. And also the fact that shea butter and hydrogenated vegetable oil were the only two hydrating components of the formula.

Mac Cosmetics uses Beeswax, Glycine Soja Oil (soybean oil), Olive Fruit Extract and Cholesterol in their formulas. And a few other types of waxes as well. Mac has many more moisturizers present and uses Beeswax, not Paraffin.

Also something else to be noted is the ratio of oils (moisturizers) to waxes used in the formulas. Mac Cosmetics contain more oils than waxes. But CoverGirl only has Shea Butter and Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil as moisturizers. But Paraffin and two other waxes are present - outweighing the moisturizing effect. 

 Final Verdict:  CoverGirl does not advertise their lipstick as a creme (generally known for its moisturizing properties) but claims that it is moisturizing.
Mac Cosmetics labels their lipsticks by finishes (cremesheen, matte, amplified etc) which gives a greater understanding to the buyer.



0 comments:

Post a Comment