Healthy & Proper Tanning Tips - Straight From Brazil

I wrote this post on a previous blog that I used to have and recently noticed that people were looking at it again. So, I decided to re-make this post here!

It's summer season and I love magazines, like love. But the one thing I always find in summer magazines is that the sun is bad for you. Yes, the wrong time and the wrong amount of sun exposure is bad. Also, the sun in places like Canada isn't as 'bad' as in Brazil or Florida or other hot places.

These are just tips, you can do what you like. I don't advise or like tanning beds, they are not good for you and you can get sunshine exposure for free (and it's much healthier if you know when to go out).

I'm not saying I'm perfect with the sun exposure and I have a million moles that I take care of everytime I'm out in the sun. So, adjust the tips according to where you are! e.g.; if it's gray outside and you live in a hot, tropical place > wear the sunscreen, even if it's light.

Tip #1: Sunshine is From 8am-12pm.

Go in the sun in between 8am - 12 pm. Then leave. Do not stay in the sun between 1pm - 4pm, that's when it's bad. If you do stay in the sun from 1pm - 3pm - wear a lot of sunscreen (and even then sometimes the sun is too hot and will burn right through).
In hot countries with a lot of humidity, if you're by the ocean (even if it's gray out) the ocean breeze will burn you. I've gotten alot of my bad burns from walking on the beach on gray days.


Tip #2: Beach Umbrellas Are Your Friend. And They're Super Cute.

Buy a beach umbrella. If you're going to stay out all day at the beach (or wherever else with no shades/trees) it's a really good idea to get one, because from 1pm - 4 pm, you can hide under it! Then re-surface after 4 pm and still be able to get some nice quality sun time!


Tip #3: Tanning Lotion Low SPF. Sunscreen High SPF.

Buy tanning lotion. I usually stir away from the oil ones because they take forever to soak up and leave you all sticky and I'm a magnet for bees, flies, bugs etc. I also look for mild scent or unscented but that's just a preference.
Personally, I do not like Banana Boat, it doesn't work! The sunscreen is ok. They've been on the market for years, but there's better out there!
L'Oreal Ombrelle is extremely good, so is Neutrogena. I love L'Oreal for the body and Neutrogena for the face. I tend to break out if I put lotion-type sunscreen on my face so I opt for the Pure & Free Baby Stick. My friend also gave me a sample of the Neutrogena Beach Defense sunscreen (body) and it's pretty amazing too!
Stick to SPF 50+ on sunscreens.
My fave tanning lotion forever and ever is Australian Gold, which after 5+ years Canada is carrying. It is the best and comes in many options! I prefer the spray gel because it dries up fast.
Get lower SPF on tanning lotions, like 4 SPF or 8 SPF.



                        




                 



Tip # 4: Dot Your Moles.

If you're like me and you have tons of moles (I mean the big ones not the tiny you-almost-can't-see-it types) always always always put a dot of sunscreen right on top of it before you go out tanning. Don't make a ball around the mole, you will have a halo on your skin later.
Just simply use your pinky and dot it.

Tip # 5: Face Powder = No Wrinkles!

If you must tan your face, do it wisely. Face tans don't last on me, and it's a total waste because you'll look bad when you get older. If I tan my face it's gone the next day or in two days, so it's not worth it for me.
I usually just use face powder/bronzer (not the ones with shimmer). Sephora has a really good one from their in store brand. Go for the matte powders.
I also really like MAC - Fleur Power blush. It blends really well with the sephora powder so my face can match my body and I use it year-round to keep it looking fresh. And it doesn't make me breakout!






Tip # 6: No Soap After Tanning, Use Baby Oil.

After you've tanned and you're going to shower, do not use soap on your skin. It'll fade your tan before you even began to build it. Do wash your other parts.
You can soap the next day.
Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil. Let your skin soak it up a little before you fully wash it off. It'll keep your tan, because the sun dehydrates our skin. And it's faster and more convenient than moisturizers when it's hot out.



Tip # 7: Self-Tanning Lotions Extend Your Tan!

After you've showered, put on some baby oil and dried it off, use Victoria Secret Sunkissed Bronze Instant Self Tan Lotion With Tint. It's amazing ! It won't leave you streaky or come off in the shower a day later. It's really natural and intensifies your tan!
Make sure to blend/rub it on your skin in circular motions to make sure it's fully blended.
I would recommend doing the Baby Oil beforehand so that the self tanner sticks and lasts!
I've tried many self tanners but this is by far the best!


0 comments:

Post a Comment