How Do I Pull Off Red Lipstick?

A lot of girls that have come across my life have told me they "can't pull off red lipstick". I was once like that. I grew up with a mom who always wears lipstick, so I guess it was inevitable that I would go down that road too.
But I am here to assure you and show you the trick to red lips! It's all about skin tone and matching it to the red. One of my weird talents is seeing people's skin tone and matching it to clothes and makeup, so I'm here to share my quirk.

Skin Tones

"Fair, olive, dark"... I've always been confused by these terms. Maybe because I'm a visual person or maybe because it's too generic! And these things will not help when you're on the go or facing a lipstick.

Cool, Warm, Mix

First look at the colour; does it have a lot of yellow in it? Then it's mix.
Does it have a lot of blue in it? Then it's cool.
A lot of red? Warm.



How can you tell on a lipstick and on my skin?

By looking at your wrists you can tell if your skin looks pink-y, yellow-y or very dark.
My skin is in the yellow-y tones and when I don't have a tan I look "gray". I don't have that pretty ceramic looking white skin. That's another way to tell.
For darker skin types; check your natural hair colour. Is it black? Go for something cooler. Is it brown? Go for something warmer. Is it some type of blonde? Stay in the middle.



Colour One has a lot of blue in it, Colour Two has yellow, Colour Three has red.

Lipstick Examples

Blue-based lipstick:


Mac Russian Red        


Yellow-based lipstick (I use this one):


Mac Lady Danger

Red-based lipstick:

Mac Ruby Woo


These are just examples so you can spot them in other brands! I personally love Mac lipsticks because they are always dead on with skin tones but I do own other brands too!


0 comments:

Post a Comment